A radiant smile has the power to light up a room, but for some, unevenness in the lip, a crooked smile, and the perioral area can hinder confidence and self-esteem. At Everything Skin, we understand the importance of a flawless smile and offer innovative solutions to address these concerns depending on if you’re trying to fix asymmetry, lumpiness, lip shape, a cleft palate, drooping of mouth, overfilled lips, and more.
What Is The Perioral Area?
The perioral area, also known as the perioral region, refers to the area around the mouth. It includes the skin, muscles, and structures surrounding the lips and the oral cavity. Specifically, it encompasses the skin around the lips, the vermilion border (the edge between the lips and the adjacent skin), the corners of the mouth, the philtrum (the vertical groove between the nose and upper lip), and the nasolabial folds (the lines that run from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth).
The perioral area is a common focus in cosmetic procedures because it plays a significant role in facial expressions and contributes to a person’s overall facial appearance. Procedures targeting the perioral area aim to enhance the lips, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and restore a more youthful and balanced look to the mouth and surrounding skin.
Understanding The Causes
Unevenness in the perioral area, the region around the mouth, can arise from a variety of factors. One common cause is repetitive muscle movements, like pursing the lips or uneven chewing patterns, which can result in asymmetry or a crooked smile over time. Additionally, the natural aging process contributes to perioral unevenness as the skin loses collagen and elasticity, leading to sagging and the formation of wrinkles. Exposure to sunlight, specifically ultraviolet (UV) rays, can also damage the skin, causing premature aging and an uneven skin tone and texture, particularly around the mouth.
Another significant factor is smoking, which accelerates skin aging and can lead to the development of wrinkles and fine lines around the mouth. Genetics play a role too; some individuals might be genetically predisposed to experiencing unevenness or wrinkles in the perioral area at an earlier age or being born with a cleft palate. Dental issues, such as misaligned teeth or missing teeth, can affect the muscles around the mouth, resulting in asymmetry or a crooked smile.
Certain skin conditions, including eczema or rosacea, can impact skin texture and colour, potentially causing unevenness in the perioral area. Additionally, hormonal changes, such as those occurring during pregnancy or menopause, can influence skin elasticity, leading to unevenness.
Innovative Treatments For Asymmetry
At Everything Skin, our team of experienced professionals specialises in personalised treatments to enhance your natural beauty and restore balance to your smile. Here are some of the innovative treatments we offer:
- Dermal Fillers: Dermal fillers, such as hyaluronic acid-based injectables, can be strategically placed to add volume, redefine lip borders, and correct asymmetry. This non-invasive procedure provides natural-looking results and minimal downtime.
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections: Also known as Muscle Relaxant Injections, are effective in smoothing fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth. By relaxing specific muscles, Botox can soften deep lines, creating a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
- Lip Augmentation: Lip augmentation techniques can enhance the shape, size, and symmetry of your lips. Our skilled practitioners use advanced methods to achieve natural-looking results tailored to your unique facial features.
- Thread Lift: Thread lift procedures involve inserting dissolvable threads under the skin to lift and tighten sagging tissues around the mouth. This minimally invasive technique offers immediate results and continues to improve over time as collagen production is stimulated.
- Laser Therapy: Laser treatments can target uneven pigmentation, fine lines, and wrinkles, promoting skin rejuvenation and enhancing the overall texture of the perioral area. Laser therapy is safe, effective, and provides long-lasting results.
The Everything Skin Difference
What sets Everything Skin apart is our patient-centric approach and commitment to natural-looking results. Our skilled practitioners take the time to understand your concerns, customise treatment plans, and prioritise your comfort and safety throughout the process. We believe in enhancing your unique features, preserving your identity, and boosting your confidence.